This past week I found myself feeling rather demotivated to get my butt to the gym.
Months ago, I would have felt SO guilty, beating myself up and overall feeling defeated for missing a workout. At the beginning of the year I made a promise to myself to always listen to my body. And this is exactly what I did.
The thought of going to the gym, made me anxious and put me in a really unhealthy head space. I didn’t have any inclination or drive to get myself there. This feeling was a bit odd for me. Instead of making myself feel guilty, I listened to the signs my body was giving me – I was tired and I needed a breather. Honestly, it was probably the best thing I could have done for myself. Although I still ate my usual healthy meals, besides the small bit of chocolate I ate everyday – oops! I also drank loads of water and did a few cardio based workouts in between. There is no denying that the break has done my body and overall mental health some good.
Listening to my body has given me the POWER to be able to be in control of my emotional and physical state. I’ve decided I don’t need the gym in order for my body to feel healthy. Mental wellbeing is most important and the physical part will come after that.
So, to go back to the theme of this blog – “I’ll start on Monday”, and why I avoid using this sentiment. It is always the natural reaction to start a new eating plan or exercise regime on a Monday, but more often that not we find ourselves falling off the wagon by the end of the week. I am sure we have all been there.
It is now my duty to say ‘START NOW’. Don’t wait for Monday, or a fresh Month or year. There is honestly no better time than NOW to start taking care of your health – mentally and physically.
Even though I am posting this blog on a Monday (the irony!) I have decided to instead take small, conscious steps each day to get myself back into my workouts and healthy, balanced eating.
With the above being said, here are a few ‘rules’, if you may, that I will be following.
- Don’t force yourself. I will only complete a workout if my heart and head is 100% into it. If I have scheduled a sweaty high intensity workout or weight session, but on the day my body and mind is rather in the mood for pilates or an outdoor run – I will do that instead. As long as the body is moving.
- Load up on greens, veggies and protein in order to lean out and load the body with the fuel it requires to get back into the gym.
- Cut down on the ‘treats’. Although I believe in balance and not depriving yourself, there is no use in undoing all of your hard work. Rather plan your week out and plan when you will be having your treats. I like to say 2 treats per week should do it.
- Get back into the groove of having my ‘good morning tea’ as I wake up to boost the immune system and set good intentions for the rest of the day. The ingredients for this are posted under the ‘recipes’ section on my blog.
- Ensure I drink a health smoothie every morning. I love including superfood powders in my shakes to give my body an extra boost of nutrients, vitamins and minerals to fuel my days and workouts.
Stay tuned for my next blog where I will be giving a basic outline of what I eat in a day, how I get back into my health groove and how to stay there. My PROJECT COMEBACK, starts NOW!
Have a BEAUTIFUL day <3 and remember to always listen to your body.