There is no denying that we all love a good carb-filled meal during the colder months. I for one, love my bread and pasta, I just choose to go for the healthier alternatives as to not deprive myself. Sure, I don’t eat these foods every day, but I do include them in my healthy eating regime at least 4 times a week.
During winter I find it really difficult to eat salads and find myself looking for healthy, ‘warmer’ alternatives to keep me satisfied. Today, instead of having a tuna salad that I planned to eat after my workout, I opted to make a protein and veggie filled pasta! YUM!
This recipe I created is not only yummy, but also free of any creamy, unhealthy or pre-made sauces and only contains fresh, whole ingredients. This is such an easy dish to whip up for dinner and have leftovers the next day for lunch. My favourite!
I hope you enjoy this meal as much as I did creating and eating it!😊
You will need:
4 chicken breasts – sliced or diced
2 cups wholewheat pasta
Mix of seasonal veggies. I used – broccoli, cauliflower, baby marrows, portabellini mushrooms & baby spinach
2 cloves garlic
¼ red onion – finely chopped
1 tablespoon good quality curry powder
1 teaspoon turmeric powder
Sprinkle of ground ginger, pink Himalayan salt, black pepper and ground mixed herbs
Good quality feta to sprinkle over pasta when served
- Place a teaspoon of coconut oil into two separate pans
- Boil water in a pot for the pasta. Add a small drop of good quality olive oil and a crack of pink Himalayan salt to the boiling water
- Slice your chicken breasts and place into one of the pans – I like to seal my chicken before adding the spices so it stays tender
- Add spices to the chicken
- Place chopped garlic cloves and red onion into a seperate pan
- Cut up all of your veggies and place them into the pan with the garlic and onion – I cooked the broccoli, cauliflower & baby marrows about ¾ of the way first and then added in the mushrooms. Add baby spinach last as it doesn’t require much cooking time
- Add a small amount of black pepper and pink Himalayan salt to the veggies while cooking
- Let the chicken and veg cook through. Cook pasta until it is aldente
- Once everything is cooked, place your pasta, veggies and chicken into a bowl, sprinkle some feta cheese on top with a drizzle of olive oil and a crack of black pepper
And there you have a hearty, but still light and fresh pasta dish.