My whole purpose of starting ‘My Healthy Work Life’, was to show people that you CAN live a healthy, active lifestyle, while working full-time.
Truth be told, everyday life and work obligations can get in the way of healthy eating and exercise habits. This has somewhat been my life lately. Work was insane over the past few months and my gym and healthy eating took a bit of a back-foot. I wrote about this in a recent blog (http://www.myhealthyworklife.co.za/2018/07/23/how-bex-got-her-groove-back/) – check it out here, if you haven’t already.
Just when I was starting to feel like I was getting back into my healthy routine, it was mid-July and I realized ‘OH CRAP’, I am moving house in 2 weeks’ time! Throw packing up a house, selling furniture, moving, working, events to go to, parents visiting and boyfriends 30th birthday into the mix, you have a rather frazzled Bex!
Two weeks later and we are finally feeling a lot more settled and I feel like I can get started again with my healthy habits, clean eating and get back into my workouts. I was eating healthy for the most part, I did however take a week off from the gym, which honestly was well received by my body and mind. Sometimes a little break is all it takes to help re-shift your goals and priorities.
It is finally time to focus on my new goals I have set out for myself. While getting back into my routine, I have thought of a few things I would like to achieve. Smalls goals, that are going to be obtainable and work from there.
Below are a few things I like to do as part of my daily healthy habits routine and maybe you can follow these too!
- Eat with intent – only eat when you are actually hungry. If you are feeling a bit peckish between or after meals, drink some water or green tea
- One of the BIGGEST and probably the most important things you can do towards your healthy lifestyle goals, is to meal prep and plan your meals ahead of time. It will save you from indulging in unhealthy fast food, or spending unnecessary money on buying meals everyday
- Eat wholesome food – veggies and fruit (I mostly eat lots of berries, paw-paw, grapefruit and bananas) I am also going to try and limit my fruit intake to before lunch only, or before I workout
- Limit sugar intake. I am all about treating yourself, but one of my goals going forward is to only have that piece of chocolate if I REALLY feel like it. One thing here is to also practice portion control. If I do have chocolate after dinner, I will usually not have more than two squares of Lindt dark chocolate
- Try not to mindlessly snack and rather fill up on main meals instead. I will still have a mid-morning and mid-afternoon snack (especially prior to a workout in the afternoon)
- I am going to follow a proper gym programme, which I have done previously, so I know it will be achievable
- I will also include LISS (low-intensity steady state cardio) and HIIT (high-intensity interval training) a few days per week
- Drink my healthy morning tea every day before breakfast – you can find the recipe here too (http://www.myhealthyworklife.co.za/2018/04/02/good-morning-tea/)
- Focus on my mental health by unwinding before going to sleep. A hot shower, some tea and series are always a good start!
- Remember to drink my calcium + magnesium and L-Glutamine every night before bed. I have been remembering the past few weeks, so that’s a small challenge defeated, so far! 😉
- Lastly, work on practicing my self-care. Whether it be putting on a hair or face mask or just simply taking the time out to drink some tea and watch an episode of something on Netflix – we all need time out and it really is important for all-round happiness
I will check back in in the next week or so to let you know of my progress!
Have a beautiful week and good luck on your health and fitness journey, if you will be following some of my tips <3